As we reach the peak summer months, it’s becoming more important than ever to nourish skin properly to promote its health. The cold, dry winter months are over, and instead, patients are ready to get outside and savor the sunshine. For optimal protection and rejuvenation from sun and environmental damage, make sure you recommend products containing these two vitamins.
In the past 20 years, the body of research supporting the benefits of Vitamin C has exploded. Its benefits are particularly ideal for summer.
In skincare, Vitamin C was first discovered for its sun protection benefits, and it is what dermatologists call a “non-sunscreen sun protectant.” It synergizes well with SPF products, which should always be used when going outdoors, especially during the summer. Not only does Vitamin C prevent damage from UVA and UVB light, but it also has been shown to reverse photodamage. Vitamin C alleviates hyperpigmentation and sun spots, leading to a more even complexion. It also helps promote collagen production, helping to heal skin, promote elasticity and reverse signs of aging such as wrinkles and lines.
Besides sun exposure, time spent outdoors leads to increased exposure to free radicals in the air. These can lead to oxidation and skin damage. In addition to being a powerful photoprotectant, Vitamin C is also a potent antioxidant, and it mitigates damage from environmental free radicals, helping preserve skin health. Between its sun and environmental protecting benefits, Vitamin C is a necessity for summer skin regimens.
- Vita-C Peptide Spray: this misting spray not only gives skin a boost of Vitamin C, but it also hydrates and relaxes; perfect for enjoying the summer heat.
- C-Stem: a favorite product of many of our clients, C-Stem is a potent anti-aging serum rich in Vitamin C to lessen the appearance of wrinkles, lines and hyperpigmentation.
- Vita-C 20: this high-potency brightening cream contains a very strong concentration of Vitamin C. Please note that, due to its strength, we do not recommend starting patients with this product; instead, we recommend working up to it using Vita-C Peptide Spray, Vita-Soothe and C-Stem.
The benefits of Vitamin E are similar to those of Vitamin C, and the two work well when used together. Vitamin E is also an antioxidant, helping to prevent damage from free radicals and keeping cells healthier against photodamage. Vitamin E also has hydrating and anti-inflammatory benefits, making it a soothing nutrient when treating sunburned areas.
- Oil-Free Moisturizer: A lightweight moisturizer containing vitamins A and E, this moisturizer is perfect for summer.
- Green Tea Antioxidant Serum: This serum contains several antioxidants, including Vitamin E, to heal, rejuvenate, and protect skin.
- Vita Soothe: This protective serum contains powerful antioxidants and vitamins E and F. It also contains lipids to help moisturize skin, and is a great treatment for sensitive and damaged skin.
Make sure that you are recommending products containing vitamins C and E this summer, as these nutrients will significantly improve your patients’ skin health.For a comprehensive guide on how to adjust product recommendations for summer, check out our last article.